JobsThis is the first post in what will be a series on how Las Vegas fathers should proceed after losing their job. I feel it necessary to write on this topics because there are many situations which must be addressed after one becomes unemployed, either through no fault of their own or because they were fired. Too often dads wait to deal with such issues and legal problems ensue as a result. The goal of my coming articles is to provide information which will allow one to better understand his situation. If you have questions then contact my office today to speak with an attorney.

I will be addressing multiple topics over my coming articles. Issues which I will analyze include:

  • Filing for a child support modification after a job loss
  • Requesting a spousal support modification
  • Requesting a modification to one’s visitation schedule
  • The importance of immediately seeking employment or retraining

These are important issues for a father to understand. First, if you lose your job you can engage in “self help” and simply begin paying a reduced child support amount. Doing so will likely result in your being held in Contempt of Court. Instead, you must immediately file a request with the Court that your monthly payment be modified. The same rules apply to any spousal support or alimony obligations which you may have. Also, it may be necessary to gain a new visitation schedule to accommodate your ability to look for a job or other changes to your circumstances. Finally, if you do not actively seek employment then you run the risk of the Court finding you to be “underemployed.”

It is understandable that one may not wish to immediately deal with the legal system after having lost their job. Few things are as personal as one’s work and being unemployed can be incredibly frustrating. It is important to understand, however, that your legal obligations do not simply go away after such a change to your circumstances. As a Las Vegas fathers’ rights attorney I regularly help dads who find themselves in such a situation. Contact my office today to speak with a lawyer.